Type 304 stainless steel U-bolt wire rope clips are most often used in rigging applications to secure the wire rope on the turn back and are ideal for use with moderate load applications. Please refer to the instructions below for more information on wire rope clips.
- Type 304 stainless steel and precision cast
- Import wire rope clips also available
- Turn back specified amount of rope from thimble or loop. Apply first clip one base width from dead end of rope. Apply U-bolt over dead end of wire rope – live end rests in saddle. Tighten nuts evenly, alternate from one nut to the other until reaching the recommended torque.
- When two clips are required, apply the second clip as near the loop or thimble as possible. Tighten nuts evenly, alternating until reaching the recommended torque. When more than two clips are required, apply the second clip as near the loop or thimble as possible, turn nuts on second clips firmly, but do not tighten.
- When three or more clips are required, space additional clips equally between the first two – take up rope slack – tighten nuts on each U-bolt evenly, alternating from one nut to the other until reaching the recommended torque.
- Apply an initial load equal to loads expected in use. Inspect for proper orientation and spacing of clips and retighten the nuts to the recommended torque.
If a pulley (sheave) is used for rope turn-back, add one additional clip.
The number of clips shown is based upon using RRL or FLL wire rope, 6 x 19 or 6 x 37 Class, FC or IWRC, IPS or XIP. If Seale constructio or similar outer wire type construction in the 6 x 19 Class is to be used for sizes 1″ and larger, add one addtional clip. The number of clips shown also applies to rotation-resistant RRL wire rope, 8 x19 Class, IP, XIP sizes 1/2″ and smaller, and to rotation-resistant RRL wire rope, 19 x 7 Class, IPS, XIP, sizes 1/2″ and smaller. For other classes or wire rope, additional clips may be necssary. Length of rope turn-back should be increased when more clips are used. Efficiency ratings for wire rope end terminations are based upon the breaking strength of wire rope. The efficiency rating of a properly prepared loop or thimble eye termimnation for clip sizes 1/8″ through 7/8″ is 80% and for sizes 1″ through 1/2″ is 90%. In accordance with good rigging and maintenance practices, the wire rope end termination should be inspected periodically for wear, abuse and general adequacy.